Q: Will electrical contractors be forced to join a Competent Person Scheme?

Posted by Peter on 23rd June 2009 at 06:54am

When Part P comes into effect there will be two routes for those carrying out 'notifiable' electrical installation work in dwellings to demonstrate that they have complied with the requirements.

The first is to join a competent person self-certification scheme.

The second is to submit a building notice to the local authority.

Five bodies have been approved to run schemes and electrical contractors have a choice of which scheme to join.

However, there will be no requirement to join a scheme. It will be perfectly acceptable to submit building notices to the local authority. It will be a matter for each individual electrical contracting firm to decide which of the above two routes to compliance would be best for their business.